Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Doctor Who Review No.1

Today is the day of the third episode in Season 6 of Doctor Who, so I thought it would be fitting to provide my thoughts on the first two episodes today. This is a review of the plot and everything that I thought so, serious spoliers if you haven't seen them yet!!

The first episode, Let's Kill Hitler, was purely amazing. The reveal that Amy and Rory's childhood friend, Mels was in fact their daughter, Melody was completely mind blowing and unexpected. I realise that we never saw her before, because in a way, it hadn't happened yet, but I still didn't quite like the fact that this was the first time we ever saw her.
I also love the connection between the fact that River could not regenerate in The Silence in the Library because she used up all her regenerations bringing the Doctor back to life. Even though I had never thought of that before, haha. I was a little confused as to why she decided to go to the library at the end of the episode, though. Was it meant to have just been tying it together that she ends up there? Or are we meant to think that the Doctor lead her there with the diary?
Those antibodies were the funniest things. They were exactly like that annoyingly helpful paperclip from Microsoft Word ages ago. They were nice about killing you. One of my favourite quotes: "You will feel a slight tingling sensation, followed by death."
Rory just becomes more cute with every single episode. The bit where Amy thinks he's gay and then suddenly realises is amazing. His bewilderment about being in the same room as Hitler: "Shut up, Hitler!"
The whole scene between River and the Doctor where they get one step of each other in every little movement that they do is great cinematography.

The next episode, Night Terrors, was honestly a bit of a disappointment. I know it was a filler episode, but it did not even refer to the plot once. Also, I felt like it had been done before. It reminded me a whole lot of Fear Her. It wasn't exactly the same. But the whole child is possesed by/is an alien. The fact that they are really scared and they don't feel like their parents are there for them. Also, the child collects people and puts them in drawings/a made up world in their cupboard. The parent comes through in the end and everyone is saved.
I loved Fear Her so much, it was sad to see all these similarities between it and episode just a few seasons down the road. Despite that, the way the episode was done was quite clever. I like the creepiness of the house and how everything being wood suddenly made sense in the end.
Favourite quote: "Come on Alex! Are you crazy? We can't open the cupboard! Right, that settles it. Going to open the cupboard."
This song was creepy, but I liked it:
Tick, tock, goes the clock, and what things shall we see?
Tick, tock, until the day, that thou shall marry me.
Tick, tock, goes the clock, and all the years they fly.
Tick, tock, and all too soon, you and I must die.
Tick, tock, goes the clock, we laughed at fate and mourned her.
Tick, tock, goes the clock, even for the Doc…
Tick, tock, goes the clock, he cradled and he rocked her.
Tick, tock, goes the clock, even for the Doctor.


And that's what I thought. Can't wait for tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment